Cleethorpes people warned about dangerous 'bling' dummies
By elsawill | Friday, June 29, 2012, 18:29
Cleethorpes parents of young children are being warned to steer clear of diamante-studded dummies after a batch of these fashionable products were found to present a choking hazard.
Trading standards officers at North East Lincolnshire Council raised the alarm after nationwide tests showed that the dummies, which feature sparkling, stick-on diamante studs, were not safe.
When the dummies were cleaned, the glue used to attach the gems was found to soften, leaving the gems liable to loosen and pose a choking hazard.
Any parent or carer who may have bought one of the dummies is advised to stop using it immediately.
Parents are also being warned to beware of a dummy clip product, made from ribbon and small decorative beads, which was removed from widespread sale after it failed safety tests last year.
Councillor David Bolton, the council's portfolio holder for community safety and neighbourhoods, said: "These products may look cool and trendy but they should not be used at all if they pose any threat to the safety of your child. I'd advise anyone who has bought some of these 'bling' dummies not to give it to their child. Instead, contact our trading standards officers and let them know where you got it from. This way we can prevent such products from ending up in the hands of other children."
Anyone caught selling the dummies is breaking the law and could be fined up to £20,000. If you are aware of such items being sold, you can report the trader to Citizens' Advice on 08454 040506.